CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 14, 2009

He finally shaved and I survived.


Last night, my dearest son, asked me to help him shave.

17 years, 5 months, 29 days old. He was finally ready. As readers here know, I have had tremendous melancholy over this issue. Jackson has had a mustache since age 11. Thin, black Errol Fynn type 'stache. The chin fuzz came a few years later at about 15. He never wanted to shave, in my opinion, because he didnt have a father to teach hi. I think inside of him, he was waiting for his father to return to his life so he could pass down that right of manhood. It has, of course, never happened. So, last night he came in quietly and asked if I would help him. I, quietly, said sure. Didnt make a big fuss, didnt want him to feel any drama over it. I told him to take a shower to clean and mositen his face.

While in the shower, I went to youtube to find out how a man shaves. Found some good tips in a video like 1. Go with the hair growth at first, then against it after the bulk of hair has been reduced. 2. Leave shave cream on for a minute to absorb into skin. I was glad I researched it, cus I didnt know that.

So we began. I put the cream on his mustache, gave my tips and handed him the razor. He was nervous,went slowly, but did a pretty good job. He was so proud of himself. Had a big smile. It was another sign of his growth into manhood.

And Im the parent that got to experience it. Score another point in the gratitude box for me.

2 comments:

steveroni said...

Wow! And I'm a father, and never got to experience that.

Got a new first--a "great grandson" (Aug 11, 2009). I'll be able to hold him (maybe teach him how to shave?) during my trip...they live in Charlotte NC.

Syd said...

That is great for you and mostly for Jackson. Good for him.