CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, September 5, 2009

where can I find a serious sponsee?

I have been in the fellowship of Al-anon for a total of 18 years. Did 12 years, then *got better* and dropped out, only to experience the most significant pain of my life in a sick, twisted relationship and returned nearly 7 years ago. In all that time, I have not sponsored anyone past the 7th step.

They either leave, stop calling or lose the desire to work the steps. The new sponsee I have has not fulfilled her commitment to call me daily. Just a simple call. Meant to develop the relationship, learn trust, show commitment. When she finally calls days later, she says she knows she isnt doing anything for her recovery, but "Im trying". Huh? Not doing is trying? I tell her ACTION is trying.

I think this situation is more common than not. People's pain eases, the desperation is forgotten, the desire dies.

That has not been my experience in 7 years. I have absolutely NO desire to back up, go in reverse. I have gone thru highs and lows, pain-free and God awful pain, and never have I thought it was a bad idea to not go to a meeting, not reach out, not pray to God.

I think I am extremely fortunate...I am one of the few that remain in the low statistics of those who stay *sober*. Just for today, please God dont let me forget....

2 comments:

Syd said...

I hear you. I also am one of the few that hasn't backed out and has completed the steps with my sponsor. I have sponsees who are a mess though. They are filled with pain but either won't listen or won't do what's necessary. I don't want what they have.

steveroni said...

Me too! I stay sober,no matter what!
Good for you!

A Non-Alanon.
Peace.