CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The adventures of Tuba Christmas 2009

Ok here it is,,,,,,
Friday, we were supposed to leave after work. Horrendous downpour of the Eastern US snow storm made that impossible. We left Sat at 6am. Yuck. Tired as hell, stressed out about the 4 hr drive to Winter Park, needing to be there by 10:30am.

Take off...and the coolant light goes on. FIRST set back....go to gas station, pour coolant in (just happened to have some for emergencies) and after pouring about 2 cups, realized we had poured it into the OIL tank. $#(#@#&($#&!!!! F bombs dropped everywhere, Jr and I stuffing paper towels in the oil tank to absorb the mess. What to do now? Drive on....

We hit the turnpike. Tired, cranky but determined. I kept thinking that this is what love is....going very far outta my way for this incredible kid that I love.

We arrive in Winter Park 15 minutes early, drive to the park where the concert takes place. Having been there before, we knew just where to go. We pull up. NO ONE IS THERE. No tuba registration table, no chairs for the stage, not a tuba in sight. I cannot tell you how f***** pissed I was. I look up the tuba Christmas website to confirm we are in the right place on the right day. Indeed I confirmed...we were NOT.
The Winter Park tuba xmas event was last Saturday, 12-12. Not THIS Saturday 12-19. I HAD THE DATE WRONG.

$#(&$#(&#@^#@%#*%@&*#%@*&#%@*&#%@*&#%*&@#%@*#%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After dropping enough F bombs to kill a small army, I regroup and remember that there was another TC event in central Fla and let’s see if THAT one is today. And, it was. Zephyrhills, FL, just 80 MORE MILES to the west. And it was set for 7pm that night. Plenty of time.

So, off we go to Zephyrhills Fl.

Stop at Denny's to get food, which my body and my attitude definitely needed.

Landing in the small, tiny old country town of Zephyrhills, we find a very nice Microtel hotel and chill out. Couldn’t sleep due to all the stress I guess, but rest was ok. Took Jackson to the small church where the rehearsal was to take place, and see several older and younger tubists getting all warmed up. You have to know the tuba world. They are few, but mighty folk, brought together by their love of this large brass blower.

The concert was held in the town square. Literally, a pretty white gazebo located in downtown (think quaint, small new England town shops, twinkle lights, everyone knows everyone atmosphere). It was cold and crisp evening, and the musicians were 20 strong. A rather small turn out for a rather small town. Jackson was acknowledged for being the member who came the furthest away to participate, while another player was acknowledged for purposely missing his flight back home to Baltimore just so he could stay and play with the boys. (Alas, no female players this time). 

They played wonderful songs, spread the Christmas spirit and made us all smile. I took some video and will try to post up here once Jackson edits it. It was a wonderful way to spend an evening in a quiet, old town in North Fla.

The next day, we dropped the car at Tires plus to get the oil changed. Ha, you know, remove the coolant and all that, had breakfast and headed over to the OTHER side of the state to visit Kennedy Space Center. I had not been since I was a child and Jackson loves space and engineering, So as we head out of beautiful Zephyrhills, I got pulled over by a sheriff. Nice guy he was, just simply told me to slow down. Was a cool dude, took 5 seconds with me and I felt very lucky to have gotten off. Unfortunately, that gratitude and fear stayed with me temporarily, because on Monday as we were driving home from KSC on I-95, I got pulled over again. This time, no such luck and got a ticket. Well, actually 2....didn’t have my insurance card. That can easily be remedied by sending in my proof on insurance. The other, I will pay or hire The Ticket Clinic. Whatever, it’s the price I pay for my choice to speed. After a few F bombs, I let it go, as Jackson was really cool in helping me to focus on the positive, instead of the negative. Said it could’ve been worse, we could’ve gotten into an accident, but we were safe, had a nice holiday trip and got to see parts of Florida that we had never seen. I love that he knows how to sponsor his Mommy! What a gift he is to me.

So, I’m home, I’m tired, my legs hurt from all the walking at KSC, but I have a wonderful son and the holidays don’t hurt this year and I am happy!

Just for today....I have an abundance of love in my life......I hope you do too....

1 comments:

Syd said...

I'm glad that you got him to the tuba concert and he got an acknowledgment. That is great.